Tie Bow Blouse

Pattern Review: Simplicity 8216

Hello, I am back with my 2nd of my #2018MakeNine challenge! I have a ready to wear shirt in my wardrobe with a neck tie and it is one of my most worn items. I have been on the lookout for sewing patterns to replicate it and decided to try Simplicity 8216


For this top I chose view D, but with the neck tie and minus the pocket. I cut a size 14 and made no changes except to add an inch onto the length. As mentioned in other reviews there is a pattern drafting error in the neck facing. It is annoying, but you can work round it. It is a shame as it is could easily stump beginner sewers, which is why I wouldn't class this as an 100% easy pattern. 


I bought this floral crepe fabric in the January sales in John Lewis for around £5-7 per metre (I can't remember the exact price). I snapped up a whole bunch of fabrics (12 metres in total!) that were on their 3rd price reduction.It was a dream to sew with and has a lovely drape that is perfect for this top. As the fabric is quite light and slightly see-through I finished all of the seams on my overlocker. 


You can't see a huge amount of the details as my fabric is black and patterned, but I love the gathers in in the back and also the front shoulders. However, the style is too boxy for me to like wearing it un-tucked. 


In the picture below my hands pretty much obscure the area where the fabric is like a tent from my boobs to my hips. I thought about potentially adding fisheye darts under the bust, but as I was treating this as a wearable muslin I didn't bother.


I also love the way it looks tucked it so it's no loss! I finished this top in mid march and I have pretty much worn in weekly since. I can't wait to try the dress version, with the waist elastic it gives the perfect amount of waist definition to stop it looking boxy. 


You can see my Pattern Review here. 

Despite the Beast from East having passed and warmer temperatures now, it has been all rain here in London (hence the indoor photos!). That said, it makes for a great excuse to stay inside and sew! I am hoping to finish my 3rd #2018MakeNine garment this week and have been making progress with a shirt dress too. 

Happy sewing!

Comments

  1. It’s so cute!!!! I love that print.

    When I made this I added elastic at the waist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I have this pattern, and you did a great job with it! Thank you for the heads up on the error on the neck facing. I agree that it looks nice tucked in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top