Making a Maxi

Pattern Review: McCall's 6744


The Summer sewing continues, this time with the maxi dress version of McCall's 6744. I did attempt to make this version of the pattern before here but I ended up having to cut the skirt down. I have been wanting to have another go and finally got around to it as part of my sewing group's Summer Sew-a-Long. 


This time I managed to cut everything out correctly as I had plenty of fabric. This fabric is an ITY knit from Saeed's Fabrics in Walthamstow. I can't remember how much I paid for it, but I think it was around £4-£6 per metre. It washed and sewed perfectly. In fact I rarely have any problems handling ITY knits. 


I made very minor alterations to this. I remembered that the bodice had a large amount of ease last time so I cut a small and graded out to a medium on the hips. I graded in 1" in length on the bottom of the bust which I count as my lazy FBA. Lastly I added a couple of inches on the bottom so I could wear this with heels. FYI I am almost 5 ft 8" so it is rare that patterns are every floor length for me. I am planning on wearing this dress to a wedding this summer and then I plan to take up the hem an inch so I can wear it afterwards with flats. 


This is a super simple dress, but I love the details such as the elasticized shoulders and front split in the skirt. Incidentally I didn't have enough fabric to pattern match the front but it worked our pretty well! I also appreciate that neckline is not too low and how the Grecian style makes this garment feel very elegant and feminine. Here is a close up of the shoulders. 


I have a couple of other summer dresses and a skirt cut out on the sewing table. Just by looking at the fabrics I can tell that I see them as transitional items that I can wear with tights later this year. However, the sun has finally come out in London this week so I am going to be wearing my summer makes as much as possible in the meantime! 


You can view my Pattern Review here.

How has your seasonal sewing been going?
Anyone started making Spring/Autumn sewing plans yet?

Happy Sewing!

Comments

  1. You look beautiful in this gorgeous dress. What a beautiful fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the photo of the dress on the Club Summer sewalong site and loved it. I like it even more having seen the shoulder detail. I'm glad you are shortening the dress only a little bit as I love the way the dress shows off the beautiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top