May Garment of the Month

Again, I have been a keen bean with my May Garment of the Month.

Originally I had planned to make Butterick 5949 but on fitting the muslin I realised that it would need some serious alterations, so I opted for Simplicity 1810.


The fabric is a jersey picked up from Goldhawk Road. It was priced at £3.99 and this top required 1.5 metres. Those that know me outside of blogging know that I don't really like animals. However, when it comes to fabric I don't seem to mind them. Check out my squirrel dress and some of my recent fabric purchases here. Here is a close-up of the fabric, this time with birds:


The pattern itself was simple to make and didn't take very long. It has pleats at the shoulder and darts in the back for added shaping. The ties are sewn into the back darts which gives added shape when they are done up. I really like this detail although most of it is hidden by my busy fabric. 


The only thing that I don't like about this top are the facings. I'm not a huge fan of facings in general, but these ones seem huge and despite all of my pressing and understiching they refuse to lie flat. I expect it is partly my fabric choice as I doubt that I would have the same issue had I chosen a woven. 


I french seamed the sides because I love a good old french seam, and sewed baby hems on the armholes and hems. I have had this pattern in my stash for a while but have always been worried that the lack of fittedness around the waist would make me look as though I was expecting a baby. However the ties sit at the right place and soft drape of the jersey works well. I don't think that I would sew this with a woven.  


As this was a wearable muslin I am really pleased with how this turned out and I am tempted to make the dress version in a black jersey just to have as a wardrobe staple. The top is really comfy and I have already worn it out and about in jeans. Expect this to pop up in my Me Made May summary!

You can view my Pattern Review here.

My June project will be Vogue 8827 (now out of print). I have read some reviews that mention that the instructions for this are not the easiest and the sizing is a bit strange, so fingers crossed it is not too tricky. 

Happy Sewing!



Comments

  1. Wow you look great! Love the new top, gorgeous fabric :) Hope to see you Wednesday maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this top! Great colour too :)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like french's too. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Top looks great on you, the colours really suit you

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is next up on my list of projects and I had a lightweight cotton set aside. After seeing your great top I may rethink my choice. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top