1 Metre Challenge/Sew-a-Long

My sewing group recently is currently holding sew-a-long and challenge to create an item using 1 metre of fabric. When this challenge came up I instantly knew that it would be the perfect excuse to sew another version of Simplicity 1884.


As I have sewed this twice before (here and here) there is not a whole lot to add. I sewed a medium, and french seamed it (of course). I lengthened the top by 1.5", similar to the second version, but forgot that the fabric is a woven and does not stretch over my hips! If I ever make the dress version of this pattern, I will definitely have to remember to do some grading out in that area. Oh well, it does give this top more of a blouson feel so I don't mind.


The fabric was picked up one day from a shop on Brick Lane in East London - I can't remember the name. Although I have spotted fabric shops towards the Aldgate end of Brick Lane, I have usually passed them when they are closed. The prices are not too shabby. I picked up this crepe type fabric for £3.50 per metre. I also picked up the same fabric but in burgundy whilst I was at it. Here is a close up:-


This fabric has been in my stash a while and when I started to construct the top I was worried that although it had a lovely drape it would not be soft enough for the gathers and would fall strangely. The gathers are more pronounced, but I think that the end result is fine and I feel contented.  


This was a fun challenge. I have to be honest, I pretty much finished this top before the sew-a-long had even started. The funny thing is I had no immediate plans to stash-bust this fabric, but I am so glad that this sew-a-long came up. It has also been some instant gratification alongside my June garment (yes I have started on that early too...) which has a huge amount of hand-stitching. 


You can see my Pattern Review of this top here.

Do ever get inspired to do some impromptu stash-busting? 
And what is the source of your inspiration? 

Happy Sewing!

Comments

  1. Cute top!! I had this pattern and gave it away. Dang it.

    I get inspired by lots of things..a pattern, a piece of fabric, a fellow blogger, a pattern review and more recently, RTW garments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous that you have a tried and tested pattern to use when you feel like using up a bit of stash fabric. That's what I want to be able to do (very much). I am hoping to get somewhere with my pattern drafting. At least my sleeveless bias cut top is beginning to become one I can make again because it fits pretty well (fingers crossed).
    I really love this top, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im jealous too! what a perfect little top to go out alone or with a jacket or cardy- so sharp. I will be stalking that pattern now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I just came across this pattern today and almost instantly ran out to buy fabric for it. Yours is great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LGBT+ Pride Cross Stitch

Update and New Patterns

Floral Tank Top